Design Your MA in Women's and Gender Studies
The M.A. in Women’s and Gender Studies has three tracks. Each requires successfully completing 36 credit hours and passing the WGS Comprehensive Examination:
- 36 hours: Students for whom the WGS MA will be a terminal degree may wish to complete the program based on 36 hours of coursework only.
- 30 hours + internship. The internship option is recommended for those interested in applied fieldwork.
- 30 hours + thesis: The thesis option is recommended for students who intend to pursue a doctoral degree.
Our Master’s Program began in Fall 1997
The mission of the Department of Women’s and Gender Studies at the University of South Florida is feminist education, research, and practice. We promote social justice by engaging students in the discovery and production of knowledge that emerges from feminist perspectives on culture and society.
- We teach students to use the analytic skills that emerge from engaging the intersections of gender, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, ability, and nation in order to promote responsible citizenship in a diverse transnational environment.
- We expose limits in traditional higher education caused by excluding women and other marginalized groups and create knowledge that is transformative and inclusive. We aim for knowledge that will better all people’s lives, not just the lives of a few.
- We connect our work as academics with the social, political, and economic world outside the university to educate our students about social inequalities that result from sexism, heterosexism and homophobia, racism, classism, able-ism, and ethnocentrism. We link knowledge, research, teaching, and activism.
- We seek to empower students through a feminist critique of social, cultural, and institutional structures that enables them to think more critically about their own lives and that inspires them to work as active citizens for social change.
Today our graduate faculty members are nationally recognized award-winning teachers and scholars committed to mentoring graduate student scholars, teachers, and activists.
Our close-knit community of graduate students brags about WGS having its own cozy library with more than 300 books and journals, and break room for catching up.
We also boast more than 60 affiliate faculty members, representing more than 27 different departments and colleges across USF. These scholars cross list their classes with WGS and serve on MA thesis and internship committees.