The WGS Society
A Society of the USF Alumni Association
open to WGS alumnae, community friends, and allies across USF
The University of South Florida’s Department of Women’s and Gender Studies was established in 1972, the second oldest Women’s Studies department in the nation. Forty years later with the help of the USF Alumni Association, we are delighted to announce the creation of the Women’s and Gender Studies Society to connect with WGS friends and alumnae across the Tampa Bay community and the nation. Membership is not limited to alumnae, and we welcome community members and USF allies.
Why so many categories of membership? Gender equity and gender issues are a very big tent and reach across time, communities, and relationships. The WGS Society can be an important voice for gender activism, connections, and information especially in light of the erosion of women’s progress—in health care, the workplace, and the media. In short, we’d be foolish to leave anyone out!
What will the WGS Society do? Well, we’ve got tons of great ideas. If you’re in the Tampa Bay area, you’ll receive
- Invitations to one-time master classes with WGS faculty who are experts in criminal justice, women’s health, media studies, and sexualities.
- Invitations to USF screenings of important, recent documentary films with discussions to follow.
- Access to WGS faculty and students for guest speaking engagements.
- Special notice of WGS colloquia, guest speakers, and USF events. Recent events have included The Vagina Monologues, Take Back the Night speak-out and candlelight vigil, and an invitation only screening of MissRepresentation, a documentary on girls/women and the media.
- Opportunity to start/join a book club on feminist readings.
- Opportunity for networking with like-minded women.
What will the WGS Society offer alumna? Our ideas include
- Collecting and publishing annual e-updates on what’s happening in your worlds.
- Keeping you informed of all the happenings here at USF in Women’s and Gender Studies.
- Creating a WGS Department e-timeline for our website. With her stunning institutional memory, Marilyn Myerson has written a broad outline, but we need you to tell us how you fit in: the classes you took, with whom, your ah-ha! moments, and any pictures you can provide.
- Organizing and participating in alumni events in locations across the country through the USF Alumni Association.
Do I have to join the USF Alumni Association? The USF Alumni Association is our resource for contacting, organizing, and facilitating all our future WGS Society communication and events. You don’t have to join the Alumni Association to be a member of the WGS Society, but we think you’ll agree that there are some pretty terrific benefits if you do, including
- Regular print and email news: AlumNews (College specific, monthly e-newsletter), Alumni Voice Magazine (quarterly), USF Magazine (tri-annually).
- An Alumni Directory.
- USF-wide event invitations.
- An International Travel program.
- Discounts at many national businesses, including hotels, car rentals, entertainment, restaurants, insurance companies, and more.
Check out the USF Alumni website at http://usfalumni.org/s/861/index.aspx for details of happenings for its 13,842 members. And just between us, let’s add the 300 WGS alum, and some transformative feminist viewpoints, to this number!
Won't you join the WGS Society today? In today's world, we need to come together, remember our roots, and form alliances that benefit all.
Become a member! and fill out the short membership form, including questions about what interests you. You’ll be invited to all the upcoming events tailored to those interests.